Will Smith to appear on David Letterman Netflix show after Oscars slap
Will Smith will be returning to the public eye in an interview with David Letterman later this month.
However, he won't be talking about the Oscars slap because the episode was filmed before the incident.
The 53 year old appeared to have filmed his interview back in January when he was spotted chatting with Letterman by Carney's Hot Dogs in West Hollywood.
The two were surrounded by a large film crew, suggesting that it was part of the next series.
The show My Guest Needs No Introduction has seen interviews with high profile celebrities including Kim Kardashian and Robert Downey Jr.
The whole series will be released on Netflix on May 20.
The series comes after the shocking scene took place at the Oscars where Will struck Chris Rock across the face at the Academy Awards.
On March 27, Will marched on stage and slapped presenter Chris Rock after the comedian made a joke referencing his wife Jada Smith's hair, which she shaved off due to bald spots from alopecia.
"Will Smith just smacked the s*** out of me," Rock said after the attack.
There was some speculation that the slap could have been a joke but it became clear that this was a genuine display of anger after Smith repeatedly shouted, "Keep my wife's name out of your f***ing mouth!" from his seat in the audience.
Earlier this month, the Academy revealed dramatic consequences for the actor, who slapped Chris Rock onstage at the Oscars ceremony in Los Angeles on March 27.
It was revealed that while he is allowed to keep the Oscar he won on the night, he will be banned from attending any Academy events for the next decade.
In a statement, the Academy described the decision – which was reportedly a struggle to make – as a "step toward a larger goal of protecting the safety of our performers and guests, and restoring trust".
Addressing its decision in a new statement to The Washington Post, the actor said: "I accept and respect the Academy’s decision."
Smith resigned from the Academy on April 1, five days after the incident.
In his resignation letter, Smith commented: "I have directly responded to the Academy’s disciplinary hearing notice, and I will fully accept any and all consequences for my conduct.
"My actions at the 94th Academy Awards presentation were shocking, painful, and inexcusable.
"I betrayed the trust of the Academy. I deprived other nominees and winners of their opportunity to celebrate and be celebrated for their extraordinary work. I am heartbroken."
The decision came after a 54-person Board of Governors met to decide Smith's fate.
For the latest updates on your favourite celebs, sign up to OK!'s daily celebrity newsletter.
Source: Read Full Article