Star Wars set for major OVERHAUL? Lucasfilm boss reveals uncertainty over future
The Star Wars franchise has flourished under the watchful eye of Lucasfilm President, who took over the job in 2012. As the Skywalker saga prepares to draw to a close with The Rise of Skywalker, however, the producer revealed she doesn’t know what’s on the cards.
“I’ve really enjoyed this, I have to say,” she said of her time at Lucasfilm. “It’s been incredibly exciting.
“And just the fact that George [Lucas] asked me to do this, I felt a tremendous responsibility with stepping in and taking care of of the franchise, and if there were going to be new movies, to really pull a team around this that cared as much as he did,” Kennedy told Rolling Stone.
“What happens in the future and how long and how much longer I do this? I don’t know yet,” she continued. “I’m looking at all of that.”
“It’s been incredibly satisfying to reach this point where we’ve completed the saga and, I think, made a really wonderful movie.”
READ MORE: STAR WARS 9: DAISY RIDLEY SAYS THERE’S ‘MORE TO REY’S PARENTS’ STORY
- Star Wars timeline: Where does Rise of Skywalker fit in Star Wars?
When it comes to “how long” she continues at the helm for the Star Wars franchise, Kennedy quipped: “Who knows?”
“It’s going to feel very satisfying to the audience. So that’s what I’m focused on right at the moment – and what the future holds, who knows?” she told the magazine.
It was previously reported Kennedy had received an extension to her Lucasfilm contract until at least 2021.
Kennedy took over as President of Lucasfilm after Disney bought the company for over $4 billion seven years ago.
She boasts producer credits not only on The Rise of Skywalker but also new Disney+ series The Mandalorian, Solo: A Star Wars Story, The Last Jedi and The Force Awakens.
In Kennedy’s undefined future in relation to Star Wars, the franchise could potentially be set for an overhaul.
The award-winning producer, who has over 30 years in the industry behind her, has been the driving force calling the creative shots on Star Wars for years now, meaning a move away from that set up would be bound to see some big changes roll around.
However, as she’s reportedly contracted in for another two years, fans still look to have a while before any potential upheaval.
Star Wars 9: Rise of Skywalker Leia moment EXPLAINED? [THEORY]
Star Wars EXCLUSIVE: Star ‘preferred’ THESE films to prequels [EXCLUSIVES]
Star Wars 9: Rise of Skywalker ending shock – Clues in previous films [ANALYSIS]
While the schedule for Star Wars movie releases is a bit up in the air since the departure of David Benioff and D.B. Weiss from the upcoming film, there are still plenty of projects in the pipeline under Kennedy.
The planned Obi-Wan Kenobi series, starring Ewan McGregor is still to come and The Mandalorian is currently being streamed on Disney+.
Elsewhere, Lucasfilm also has the fifth Indiana Jones movie to come, with filming due to start in April next year.
Following the recent news that Game of Thrones show runners Benioff and Weiss had quit their Star Wars project, Kennedy released a statement regarding the bombshell.
“David Benioff and Dan Weiss are incredible storytellers,” she said. “We hope to include them in the journey forward when they are able to step away from their busy schedule to focus on Star Wars.”
Her comments came after the pair revealed they were stepping down from the venture following their huge deal with Netflix.
“There are only so many hours in the day, and we felt we could not do justice to both Star Wars and our Netflix projects,” they said in their own statement. “So we are regretfully stepping away.”
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker will be released in UK cinemas December 19.
Source: Read Full Article