Beverley Callard’s secret agony left her fearing she’d never walk again

Coronation Street legend Beverley Callard is one of the celebrities braving the castle in I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here! this year.

This is a huge move for Bev, who since leaving the soap earlier in 2020, has been living in agony.

The 63-year-old, who has played Liz McDonald in the soap for more than 30 years, was battling to walk again just a few months ago after a routine hip operation left her fearing she’d be in a wheelchair for life.

The actress told The Mirror in August 2020 that she was in the process of suing the hospital in the North West that carried out her operation.

She said: “I have been in the most excruciating pain you can imagine – like teeth grinding inside my hip.

“But worse than that was the mental torture of thinking ‘is this the end for me?’.

“A huge part of me thought I’d never be able to return to Coronation Street – that I wouldn’t even walk again.”

Beverley went on to explain how she was “in a state of shock and pain for four months”, and that it had been “absolute hell”.

  • Inside I'm a Celeb star Vernon Kay's isolation pad ahead of show – with hot tub and gym

The actress thought she was going in for a routine keyhole surgery on March 12, after a consultant told her they needed to repair some soft tissue damage.

But after the operation went wrong it led to a full hip replacement which should never have taken place.

She explained: “I’d had a niggle in my hip, my groin on the right side. At the beginning of March I went to my GP as it had been going on a while.

“I saw a consultant a few days later who did scans and said it needed a minor operation in mid-March as a day patient.

“I had the procedure and the nurse said afterwards it went really well.”

But three days after the surgery, Bev’s hip gradually started to hurt more, and after a week she was in complete agony.

  • Ant McPartlin and Dec Donnelly name secret stand-by who never got on I'm A Celeb

When she went to have her stitches taken out, Beverly claims her consultant told her that her operation “didn’t go very well at all”.

Bev explained: “He said when he got inside the hip it crumbled and I needed further operations”.

Because of the coronavirus pandemic, Bev said she was told things were “up in the air”, but that it was urgent.

The actress added: “I went home and over the following weeks the pain just got worse and worse despite painkillers they gave me. I couldn’t stand.”

  • I'm A Celeb's Dec Donnelly vomits as he and Ant McPartlin finally do grim trial

Bev explained how she had “no control” over her body, and that the pain “got worse and worse over the months”.

The actress said she was eventually told in July the hospital was unable to do another operation because her “consultant wasn’t around,” so she would need to find a different hospital.

Beverley called a friend who is a trauma surgeon, who got her an appointment with a consultant the next day.

The results of scans showed she needed major reconstructive surgery because she had “bone rubbing on bone”.

  • I'm A Celebrity's Vernon Kay has signed up to make his 'excited' daughters proud

She added: “He said, in his opinion, I shouldn’t have had the first operation and that they rarely do this on on women because it’s unsuccessful.”

“He said, ‘if you’re a 27-year-old woman, it had a 27% chance of going wrong. Beverley, you're 63.”

Beverley had a hip replacement on July 20, but says she still has lasting effects from the first surgery, including nerve and muscle damage.

She added: “Now I’m learning how to walk on both legs again.”

The 63-year-old has been at home recovering from the botched hip op, but said she is “Not good at being at home and I have not met any new people for months, so this chance will be really good”.

I’m A Celebrity 2020 start next Sunday at 9pm on ITV.

Source: Read Full Article