EastEnders storms Inside Soap Awards scooping 5 big prizes as Jessica Plummer and Danny Dyer lead the charge
EASTENDERS have stormed the Inside Soap Awards scooping five big prizes – as Jessica Plummer and Danny Dyer lead the charge.
The BBC soap scooped five awards – including Best Soap – with ITV's Coronation Street close behind with four.
I'm A Celebrity's Jessica Plummer also scored Best Actress for her role as Chantelle Atkins in EastEnders.
She accepted her award via video call recorded before she entered the Gwrych Castle, calling the win "one of the biggest achievements of my career."
In harrowing scenes aired this year, Chantelle was murdered by her abusive husband Gray Atkins.
The 28-year-old said: "This is probably one of the biggest achievements of my career. It was an honour to even be nominated, so I'm completely blown away.
"I came off social media for quite a long time (for me!) after m final episode aired as I personally had to mourn my character and the changes in my life.
"But when I came back, the reception I got from everyone was so heartwarming.
"Chantelle was a loved character and it really was an honour to play her."
Danny Dyer and Kellie Bright scooped the Best Partnership for their roles as Mick and Linda Carter.
The past year has seen the couple struggle with Linda's alcoholism, which led to them selling the Queen Vic.
Danny said of the win: "We have been through so much together on this show. It is always a joy to come and work with Kellie. She is a brilliant actress."
Coronation Street's Ian Bartholomew swept most of the Corrie awards, gaining both Best Actor and Best Villain for his role as the abusive Geoff Metcalfe.
He also secured a joint win for Best Show-Stopper with actress Shelley King – who plays his wife Yasmeen.
Inside Soap Awards 2020 Winners
- Best Soap: EastEnders
- Best Actress: Jessica Plummer (Chantelle Atkins, EastEnders)
- Best Actor: Ian Barholomew (Geoff Metcalfe, Coronation Street)
- Best Newcomer: Mollie Gallagher (Nina Lucas, Corrie)
- Best Villain: Ian Bartholomew (Geoff Metcalfe, Corrie)
- Funniest Performance: Lorraine Stanley (Karen Taylor, EastEnders)
- Best Partnership: Kellie Bright & Danny Dyer (Linda & Mick Carter, EastEnders)
- Best Show-Stopper: Yasmeen Fights Back Against Geoff (Corrie)
- Best Family: The Dingles (Emmerdale)
- Feel-Good Moment: Walford Celebrates Pride (EastEnders)
- Best Drama Star: Cathy Shipton (Lisa 'Duffy' Duffin, Casualty)
- Best Daytime Star: Stefan Dennis (Paul Robinson, Neighbours)
- Best Daytime Soap: Neighbours
Ian said of the wins: "For me, witnessing Shelley crumbling as Yasmeen, and watching this character that I was playing destroy her in front of me was actually really quite upsetting.
"I felt bad doing all those things, but we both wanted to do it as well and as truthfully as we could."
Emmerdale also scooped an award, taking home the gong for Best Family for the Dingles.
Mandy Dingle actress Lisa Riley accepted the award, saying: "We are all so proud, we really do feel like one big happy northern family."
Source: Read Full Article